The Ofsted Board
The Ofsted Board meets at least four times a year and is responsible for setting the strategic priorities, targets and objectives for Ofsted. It is responsible for ensuring that the work of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector (HMCI) is carried out efficiently and effectively, and that it encourages improvement and the development of a focus on those using services Ofsted inspects and regulates. It sets Ofsted's strategic priorities and oversees its corporate governance. The Ofsted Board is chaired by David Hoare.
The people who sit on the Ofsted Board are:
- David Hoare (Chair) is Chair of the Teenage Cancer Trust and recently stood down as chair of the DX Group. He was appointed as a trustee of the Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) earlier this year as part of an effort to improve standards in their schools. He has stepped down from this role following his appointment as Ofsted Chair. His previous appointments include chair of V. Ships Group (2007-11), Chair of Sparck holdings B.V (2005-08), and Chair of Virgin Express Holdings PLC (1999-2005), Chief Executive of Thorn UK Ltd (1998-99), Chief Executive of Laura Ashley PLC (1997-98) and Chief Executive of Cope Allman Packaging PLC (1987-92).
- Sir Michael Wilshaw (HMCI) was appointed Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Education, Children’s Services and Skills on 1 January 2012. Prior to joining Ofsted, Sir Michael had a distinguished career as a teacher for 43 years, 26 of these as a headteacher in London secondary schools, and most recently as Executive Principal at Mossbourne Community Academy in Hackney. In addition to leading Mossbourne Community Academy, Sir Michael was Director of Education for ARK, a charitable education trust running a number of academies across England.
- Linda Farrant joined the Ofsted Board in August 2011 and is a CIPFA qualified accountant. She has undertaken a range of non-executive director roles and is currently vice-chair of NHS Hertfordshire and non-executive director of Metropolitan Housing Trust. She spent much of her career in local government working on finance, regeneration policy and practice and gained an MSC in Public Service Management.
- Andy Palmer was appointed to the Ofsted Board in August 2011. He is Managing Director of Aspire, Achieve, Advance - a work-based learning provider. He was previously Managing Director of another work-based learning provider, Skillnet, and before that Director of Education & Skills at BT and Chief Operating Officer at e-skills UK. Andy has held a number of non-executive and advisory positions in the learning and skills arena including working with Awarding Bodies, BIS and the UKCES.
- John Roberts CBE has been an Ofsted Board member since December 2006. John was Chief Executive of the Post Office for eight years and was the non-executive Director of BECTA (British Educational Communications and Technology Agency) until its closure in March 2011. He is currently a member of the Stamp Advisory Board for the Royal Mail Group and Chair of the Board of Governors for Hampton School.
- Paul Snell CBE joined the Ofsted Board in August 2011. He is the non-executive Chair of WDI Consulting and a Trustee and Council Member at Action for Children. He is the former Chief Inspector of the Commission for Social Care Inspection, and has also served as the Interim Chief Executive of the General Social Care Council. He was previously Director of Social Services for Nottingham City Council and began his career as a social worker in Coventry.
- Sir Alan Steer was appointed to the Ofsted Board in August 2011, having previously joined the Ofsted Board in September 2008 as an education expert. Prior to this, he was Headteacher at Seven Kings school. He has also served as an Education Adviser to the Government, specifically advising on behaviour and discipline in schools, and as Pro-Director of the Institute of Education. He is currently a director at the Teaching Awards and chair of the judging panel for the Ambition AXA Awards.
- Professor Geoff Whitty CBE was appointed to the Ofsted Board in August 2011. He is the former Director of the Institute of Education, University of London and currently an advisor to the House of Commons Education Committee. He is a member of various voluntary bodies and has served as President of both the College of Teachers and the British Educational Research Association. He began his career as a teacher in primary and secondary schools before working in higher education. He has published many books and articles on education and social policy.
- The Ofsted Board meets quarterly. The next scheduled meetings are on: 23 September 2014; 9 December 2014; 24 March 2015.
- The Corporate governance framework has further information about the Board, its Chair and committees, which include the Chair's Committee and the Audit Committee.
- The papers from recent Ofsted Board meetings can be found below.
- Draft and final minutes from recent Ofsted Board and Audit Committee meetings can be found below:
To find other previous Ofsted Board papers and minutes, go to the Find a resource page and search 'Board meetings'.