Children and families services: For Children and families services providers

Before registration as a children's social care provider

Our Guide to registration for children’s social care services helps you apply to register. The guide will tell you about the three key people connected with a registration.

  • The registered provider This is the person legally responsible for the registration. The registered provider can be an individual person, a partnership or an organisation.
  • The responsible individual When the registered provider is an organisation, it has a responsible individual who represents the organisation in its dealings with us. The law says a provider must write and let us know if the responsible individual for their organisation changes. You can do this using our online registration system. You will then be asked to supply Ofsted with detail of the checks and assessment you have made to determine that the person you nominated as responsible individual is fit to supervise the management of the establishment or agency.
  • The registered manager A children’s social care establishment or agency must have a registered manager unless it is a voluntary adoption agency. The manager must apply for registration and the registration only applies to a particular establishment or agency; it is not transferable.

If you want to apply to be a provider or a manager of a children’s home, you first need to check that the law does not stop you registering. The law stops some people from being registered as a provider or manager of a children’s home, or having a financial interest in or working in a children’s home unless they have applied for written consent and Ofsted has granted this application. While this disqualification only applies to children’s homes, we will also take it into account if you apply to register for any other type of children’s social care. For further information, go to our Compliance, investigation and enforcement handbook and the Disqualification from Caring for Children (England) Regulations 2002.

Before applying to be a children’s social care provider or manager you must ensure that you:

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure

Please read Guide to registration for children's social care services and then apply for a DBS disclosure.

From 1 September

Please note that for applications submitted from 1 September 2014 onwards everyone who needs a DBS check for registration as a social care provider or manager must join the DBS update service.

For further information about the DBS update service go to our Guide to registration for children's social care services.

Each person who submits an SC2 form must give their consent to Ofsted re-checking at least every six months whether their DBS status (certificate) has changed. Where a person’s DBS status has changed please note that Ofsted will require them to obtain a new DBS certificate 

Annual Report 2012/13