A showcase of good practice across providers that Ofsted inspects or regulates
Latest official statistics: Maintained school inspections and outcomes
05 Dec 2013Ofsted
This is a new page which we will update for every quarterly release of school statistics from June 2013. It is complemented by an archive page for previous quarterly releases from June 2013. Statistics to December 2012 are on the Official statistics: Maintained school inspections and outcomes to June 2013 page. We also publish monthly management information for maintained schools. All links are below under Associated resources.
This page has the latest official statistics on the inspection of maintained schools in England. Each quarterly release comprises of:
commentary, charts and tables in pdf format
charts and tables in excel format
individual provider level data in excel and comma separated values (.csv) format.
Key findings for the latest official statistics: September 2012 to August 2013
In England there were 21,957 open schools on 31 August 2013, of these Ofsted has inspected 97 % (21,336). Of the inspected open schools the majority (58%, 12,418) recently received an overall effectiveness judgement of good. A further 20% (4,214) are outstanding; meaning that over three quarters (78%, 16,632) of schools are currently judged to be good or outstanding.
There has been an eight percentage point increase since August 2012 in the percentage of schools judged good or outstanding at their most recent inspection. This increase represents a much faster improvement than seen in previous years.
Various factors have contributed to the increase in the proportion of good schools. Under the new framework, schools judged satisfactory at their previous inspection are re-inspected earlier and these schools are more likely to show improvement at inspection than good schools. Furthermore certain schools previously judged to be outstanding (including maintained primary and secondary schools and academies) are exempt from future inspection and therefore remain outstanding, unless there are concerns about their performance. Consequently some of the eight percentage point increase in the proportion of good or better schools in England reflects changes in the inspection selection practice.
Nevertheless the statistics suggest that schools have improved more quickly since the changes to inspection made in September 2012. The increased frequency of inspection for schools less than good since September 2012 should ensure that there is added focus to improving the performance of these schools.