Schools: For parents and carers

How to complain

Complaints and concerns about schools

We do have some powers to investigate your concerns about services we inspect or regulate, but we would suggest that you start by discussing your worries directly with the person in charge, for example, the headteacher.

For concerns about a school, you can find more information about when and how to complain, the type of complaints we are able to act upon and the action we can take in Complaints to Ofsted about schools: guidance for parents or you can contact us on 0300 123 4666.

If after having read this booklet you would like to make a complaint, or you are advised to do so after speaking to one of our helpline advisers, please go to the online complaints form.

Complaints about Ofsted

We always try to carry out our work well but know sometimes you may have concerns about what we do or how our staff act.

We see complaints as an important way of learning and improving what we do. Our Complaints procedure: raising concerns and making complaints about Ofsted guidance explains how concerns and formal complaints about our inspection and regulation work and the work of our staff will be handled. It also details how to complain and how we use your feedback to identify what we need to do to improve.

Independent Complaints Adjudication Service for Ofsted

If you have made a complaint about Ofsted but are still not happy at the end of the process, you can refer your complaint to the Independent Complaints Adjudication Service for Ofsted which will conduct a review. The adjudicator is independent from Ofsted. To find out more, please visit the Independent Complaints Adjudication Service for Ofsted website.

Annual Report 2012/13